The Sardar Sarovar Construction Advisory Committee (SSCAC) was constituted during 1980 by the Government of India in accordance with the decisions of the Narmada Water Disputes Tribunal (NWDT) with a view to ensuring efficient, economical and early execution of Unit-I (Dam and Appurtenant works) and Unit-III (Hydro Power works) of the Sardar Sarovar Project.
The Constitution of the SSCAC is as under:
- Secretary, Ministry of Water Resources, Govt. of India - Chairman, SSCAC
- Secretary, Ministry of Energy, Department of Power, Govt. of India
- Chairman, Central Water Commission, Govt. of lndia
- Chairman, Central Electricity Authority, Govt. of India
- Executive Member, Narmada Control Authority
- Financial Adviser, Ministry of Water Resources, Govt. of India
- Secretaries in charge of Finance department of Governments of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
- Secretaries in charge of Irrigation department of Governments of Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- Secretaries in charge of Power department of Governments of adhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Secretaries in charge of Revenue department or any other department concerned with land acquisition of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- General Managers or Chief Engineers of Gujarat in charge of the Project and chief Engineers of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan concerned with the project.
- Chairman, State Electricity Board of Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
- Secretary, Sardar Sarovar Construction Advisory Committee.
FUNCTIONS OF SARDAR SAROVAR CONSTRUCT1ON ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- Examine the project estimates and make recommendations for administrative approval of the concerned Government.
- Examine the technical features and designs as may be referred to it by any of the party States and consult experts where required.
- Finalize the programme of construction of project components in a coordinated manner keeping in view the optimum results.
- Examine the requirement of funds for construction works according to approved programme.
- Recommend delegation of powers both technical and financial to project officers for efficient execution of project.
- Finalize specification for various classes of works.
- Examine sub estimates and contracts, the cost of which exceeds the delegated powers of the Project Officers.
- Review progress, both physical and financial and suggest steps to expedite works.